By Sodiq Lawal
The Oja Titun market in Ile Ife was in pandemonium yesterday, as fire gutted part of the market destroying properties and cash worth Millions of Naira.
The fire which started about 9pm, lasted for about seven hours. It was said to have started from a shop in the market and gutted countless shops, destroying the wares and the cash from sales in the shops.
As at the time of filling this report, the remote cause of the fire was yet be ascertained but an anonymous source said the fire was said to be have been caused by a generator that was used by one of the traders in the market.
According to a trader in the market, Mrs Liadi Yetunde, who witnessed the incident, said it took the efforts of the state fire service to bring the fire under control.
Dr. Olalekan Yinusa, Special Adviser to Osun State Governor on Commerce, Cooperatives and Empowerment, sympathized with the affected traders, urging them to be careful with electric appliances, especially during harmattan season.
He told the traders that Governor Rauf Aregbesola was concerned with their current plight and assured them that they would be assisted by the government.
Some of the affected traders enjoined the state government To come to their aid, saying their source of livelihood has been affected by the incident.